The Prime Minister's Office - Policy, Parliament, Coordination, Labour, Youth, Employment and Persons with Disability has developed an Online Work Permit
Application and Issuance System (OWAIS). The System is integrated with the Online System for application of Residence Permit (e-Permit),
which is run by the Immigration Department. The integrated System enables applicants to electronically submit their applications for Work/Residence Permit,
pay required fees, receive status notification and Grant Notice online via their email accounts.
To access the Online System for application of Work/Residence Permit, applicants are required to visit the Prime Minister's Office - Policy, Parliament, Coordination,
Labour, Youth, Employment and Persons with Disability official website: www.kazi.go.tz
OR the Immigration Department official website: www.immigration.go.tz and click the link
which will allow them to start application process. The following is a complete application process for Work and Residence Permit:-
- 1. Applicant is required to register to the Online Work/Residence Permit Application System using his/her existing email or create a new email.
- 2. The applicant will then be required to create an account in the System by filling his/her names and details of a company or institution that seeks to employ him/her.
- 3. In the same window, the applicant is required to create a password which will be used to log into the System any time when applying for a new permit and making follow up on already submitted application.
- 4. Then the applicant will submit the details by clicking the SUBMIT button and the account shall be created.
- 5. The Applicant will then be in a position to log in the OWAIS and continue filling out an Online Work/Residence Permit Application Form.
- 6. After filling out the Application Form, the applicant will submit the same electronically by clicking the SUBMIT button.
Before filling out the Work Permit/Residence Permit Application Form, the applicant is required to scan and prepare all certified copies of the documents to be
attached/uploaded with the Form as per requirements. The required documents for all Classes of Work Permit are as shown in the table below. For further details
please visit www.kazi.go.tz.
||Work Permit Class
||One recent passport size photographs with blue background
||Copy of a Valid Passport (Validity should not be below six months before expiry)
||Scanned copies of original Academic/Professional certificates.
||B, C and E
||Translated documents and scanned copies of certificates before translation.
||B, C, D and E
||Detailed Curriculum Vitae/ Resume
||B, C, D and E
||Current Proof of Shares from BRELA Online Search System or Extract from Register
||Proof of transfer or sell of shares (Where applicable). This includes Tax Clearance Certificate to that effect.
||B, C, D and E
||Detailed Job Description
||B, C, D and E
||Sectoral Approvals/Permits/Registrations (where applicable) i.e. TMDA, TBS, ERB, NBAA, TCAA, CRB, LATRA, TASAC, Ministry of Education, Science and Technology,
Mining Commission etc.
||Certificate of Charitable Organization or any related document
||Original Work Permit (For renewals and change of Work Permit Class)
||TIC/EPZA Certificate (Where Applicable)
||A, B and C
||Lease Agreement/Certificate of Occupancy/Title Deed
||Proof of registration with NSSF and WCF
||Certificate of Tax Identification Number (TIN)
||Certificate of Value Added Tax
||Current Tax Clearance Certificate
||Certificate of Incorporation/Certificate of Compliance / Registration of Companies, NGOs, Religious Institutions, Universities, Schools and other Institutions
||Memorandum and Articles of Association or Constitution of the Organization.
||Recommendation letter from relevant Government Authority for Companies, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) or Institutions executing Government Projects/Programmes
||Class B, C and E
||Introduction letter authorizing employee of the Organization to apply and make a follow up of Work Permit application and copy of such employee's Work Identity Card.
For the required documents for all Classes of Residence Permit please read Residence Permit Guidelines at www.immigration.go.tz.
Documents to be attached/uploaded with Work Permit/Residence Permit Application Form must have the following specifications: -
- 1. Be in PDF format except for passport size of the applicant required to be uploaded in the Residence Permit application part, which should be in jpeg, jpg and png formats.
- 2. Should not exceed 500 Kilobytes.
Classes of Work Permit and Residence Permit
Classes of Work Permit and respective fees are as shown in the table below.
|Work Permit Class
||Fee (US Dollar)
||Maximum time of working in Tanzania
||Investors or self employed
||Beyond 10 years/as long as business exists
||Non-citizen in possession of prescribed professions
||Non-citizen in possession of other professions
||Non-citizens employed or engaged in approved religious or charitable activities
For Classes of Residence Permit and prescribed fee please consult the Residence Permit Guidelines at www.immigration.go.tz.
Payment for Work Permit and Residence Permit Fees
The applicant is required to submit the Application Form electronically in order to receive an online notification and Bill/Control number,
which is automatically generated by the System for Work Permit. After receiving the Bill/Control number, the applicant shall: -
- Make payment for Work Permit fee by depositing money directly into the Prime Minister's Office - Policy, Parliament, Coordination, Labour, Youth, Employment and Persons with
Disability United States Dollar (USD) Bank Account by using the control number given in the bill for Work Permit Application or online by using VISA/Master Card.
- Include in the documents to be uploaded with the Application Form receipt for payment of facilitation fees for applicants who are registered with the Tanzania Investment Centre
(TIC) or Export Processing Zones Authority (EPZA).
When payment for Work Permit fee is made, the System will automatically forward the application to the Labour Commissioner who will scrutinise and make appropriate decision
on the same. The System will then forward the application to the Commissioner General of Immigration, where the application is granted.
The Commissioner General of Immigration will process the application for Residence Permit based on the documents submitted by the applicant and decision made by the
The Commissioner General of Immigration will process the application for Residence Permit and make appropriate decision on the same.
If the application is granted, the applicant will receive a notification to that effect and then the System will generate a control number for payment of Residence Permit fee.
The applicant will be required to download the payment bill and make payment by using the control number provided as per instructions given in the bill of payment
Enrolment Process and Issuance of e-Permit
After making payment for Residence Permit fee, the applicant will receive a notification, which requires him/her to report to the nearest Immigration Office
for finger print and photo capture (enrolment process).
An e-Permit Smart Card will be issued to the applicant whose application has been approved. The Card will contain both details for Work Permit and Residence Permit.
The Smart Card shall be collected at Immigration Offices.
- 1. Applicants are kindly reminded to make their applications through official website of the Prime Minister's Office - Policy, Parliament, Coordination,
Labour, Youth, Employment and Persons with Disability: epermit.kazi.go.tz OR Immigration Department: www.immigration.go.tz ONLY.
- 2. Applicants should make sure that they choose the right Class of Work Permit and Residence Permit.
- 3. Applicants for Residence Permit are advised to read the Residence Permit Guidelines available at
www.immigration.go.tz before starting filling out the Work Permit/Residence Permit Application Form.
- 4. Payments for both Work and Residence Permits applications should be made through respective control numbers given.
- 5. Payment for application fee for Work/Residence Permit is non-refundable and/or non-transferrable.